Engineering a Better World –
The world is becoming closer and closer through the cyberspace. Technology is becoming more and more complicated, and it is blurring industry boundaries. The combination of artificial intelligence and the cloud is creating super intelligence beyond human intelligence.
Smarter societies are already emerging all around us, and we must be prepared and wise in facing the infinite opportunities and challenges of these changes.
All members of our society should join in this process together. Also, cooperation of various sectors is very important to build smarter societies that everyone can benefit.
We all must take advantage of the new technologies and at the same time; prevent the crises and side effects of using them.
In order to do that, we need to prepare for some solutions of the serious social and ethical challenges that technology will cause.
On Symposium, we’re going to figure out together what current issues and challenges we will face in developing sustainable societies.
While we think about the issues and questions, we will put our heads together to solve the problems reasonably.
It will be a great opportunity for all the participants to share their insights on the various given agendas!
SESSION 1 – SMART ENERGY NETWORK IN URBAN ENVIRONMENT
To devise innovative and sustainable energy solutions and prevent energy losses, developing advanced technologies, such as storage and information technologies, is necessary.
– Smart Grid, DER(Distributed Energy Resources), etc.
SESSION 2 – HYPER-CONNECTED LIFE
Today, we live in a shrinking world thanks to advanced Information & Communication Technologies, 5G mobile communications, and advanced transportations, etc. What are the challenges of an increasingly interdependent world?
– IoT(Internet of Things), Big Data, Telecommunication, etc.
SESSION 3 – EDUCATION FOR SMART SOCIETY
We need new, different ways and systems to educate people to understand the development of new technologies such as AI, Big Data, IT and their capabilities.
– Education Transformation in the Age of AI, Cyber Ethics, Education for the 4th Industrial Revolution, etc.
SESSION 4 – CLIMATE CHANGE ISSUES & CHALLENGES IN URBAN ENVIRONMENT
To create sustainable societies and stop climate crises, we need to develop new technologies. Also, we have to think about what efforts should be made.
– Impacts of Climate Change on Urban Areas, Sustainable Urban Futures, etc.
CAETS 2020 Organizing Committee
· Donggun Park (Chair) : Vice President of NAEK &Executive Advisor of Samsung Display Co., Ltd.
· Inkyu Lee (Vice Chair) : Professor and Department Head, School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University
· Il Moon : Professor, Chemical Engineering Department, Yonsei University
· Chinho Park : Managing Director of Energy Industry, Office of Strategic R&D Planning, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
· Ji Woong Yoon : Professor, Public Administration Department, Kyung Hee University
· Inkeun Lee : Visiting Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, Seoul National University
· Daeyeon Cho : Chief Director, National Strategic Smart City R&D Program, Korea Agency for Infrastructure Technology Advancement (KAIA)
· Youn Hee Choi : Senior Research Fellow, Korean Institute for Industrial Economics & Trade (KIET)
· Oh Shim Joo : Principal Research Scientist, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
· Haein Yim : Professor, Engineering Department, Sookmyung Women’s University
· Jae Ho Yun : Director, New and Renewable Energy Institute, Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER)
The National Academy of Engineering of Korea (NAEK)
· The National Academy of Engineering of Korea is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that has been established for the purpose of promoting a more efficient development of engineering and technology, in addition to discovering talented engineers.
· We aim to discover and acknowledge engineers who have made remarkable contributions to engineering innovation and technological development in academia, industries, and research institutes. We also propose policy initiatives and strategies on engineering enhancement and technological advancement. Our mission is to be a leading group of engineering and technology, help to further the prosperity and health of our economy and society, and coordinate various forms of engineering and technological innovation.
International Council of Academies of Engineering and Technological Sciences (CAETS)
· CAETS is an independent nonpolitical, non-governmental, international organization of engineering and technological sciences academies, one member academy per country, that advances the following objectives:
– Prepared to advise governments and international organizations on technical and policy issues related to its areas of expertise;
– Contribute to the strengthening of engineering and technological activities to promote sustainable economic growth and social welfare throughout the world;
– Foster a balanced understanding of the applications of engineering and technology by the public;
– Provide an international forum for discussion and communication of engineering and technological issues of common concern;
– Foster cooperative international engineering and technological efforts through meaningful contacts for development of programs of bilateral and multilateral interest;
– Encourage improvement of engineering education and practice internationally; and
– Foster establishment of additional engineering academies in countries where none exist.